The Leggetts challenge teams to BIG SAFE SITS to raise money for GRAC through Birdathon 2021. Have fun beating their record of 26 species from last year. And try to beat their $200 in pledges to benefit GRAC.
We hope everyone who has had fun during past birdathons will enjoy it this year also. Please plan on birding any time between April 17 and May 31.
NOTE: GRAC follows all current state, local and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for COVID-19 prevention. All Birdathon participants must adhere to the guidelines. Click here for link to Covid Guidelines.
Summary of Rules:
1. At least two people per team so all sightings are confirmed by at least 2 team
2. Team members stay within sight of each other while birding.
3. Up to six hours per team.
4. Locations in Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon and Barry counties qualify.
5. Keep a list of your sightings and locations.
6. There is no pre-registration required.
7. You can be on as many teams as you like.
8. In 2021 we will have the BIG SAFE SIT option. See instructions for details.
After you have completed the 6 hours please send your list using the birdathon submission form available to right with the names, addresses, email addresses (optional) of the team members, and ages for youth, along with a check for a minimum of $30.00 for each team.
Mail team information and results to:
Ed Bolt, 233 Glenhaven NW, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504
-- delivered or postmarked by June 15.
There will be ‘traveling trophies’ awarded at the September meeting in the following categories:
- Most money raised by a team.
- Most money raised by an individual.
- Most species observed by a team.
- Rarest birds on a single team’s list.
- Wild-card bird: Eastern Bluebird – the most seen by a team.
- Youth team (“Fledging”) competition – Most species observed by a team with at least half of the members under age 18 years.
- Big Safe Sit / Feeder - Most species sighted while sitting near a specific feeder.
- Big Safe Sit / No Feeder - Most species spotted while sitting in one place, without a feeder nearby.
Thanks and have a great time!!